The Calhoun Utilities water main flushing program for Zone 2 will begin on April 16th, 2018 and may continue through May 16th, 2018. Flushing dates for additional zones will be announced as each zone is completed.
Please refer to the map below for zone locations and updates.
Flushing Program Schedule Map
Continue reading Calhoun Utilities Flushing Program: ZONE 1
The recycling center recently received an Environmental Protection Division (EPD) grant for $5000 to sponsor a four day tire amnesty cleanup at no cost to the City or the residents. Please do your part for Earth Day 2018 by making others aware of this opportunity to remove unsightly used tires from our community. A special thanks to our Gordon County Sheriff’s Office for their contributions to this effort.
For further information call 770-881-2710, Judy Peterson, City Recycling Coordinator.
Tire Amnesty Days 2018
*Current paperless subscribers are included.
The Georgia Environmental Protection Division has removed Gordon County from the Level 1 Drought Conditions.
Georgia EPD Eases Watering Limits
Outdoor water use may resume as outlined below.
Non-drought Outdoor Water Use Schedule
The Georgia Water Stewardship Act went into effect statewide on June 2, 2010. It allows daily outdoor watering for purposes of planting, growing, managing, or maintaining ground cover, trees, shrubs, or other plants only between the hours of 4 p.m. and 10 a.m. by anyone whose water is supplied by a water system permitted by the Environmental Protection Division.
The following outdoor water uses also are allowed daily at any time of the day by anyone:
- Commercial agricultural operations as defined in Code Section 1-3-3;
- Capture and reuse of cooling system condensate or storm water in compliance with applicable local ordinances and state guidelines;
- Reuse of gray water in compliance with Code Section 31-3-5.2 and applicable local board of health regulations adopted pursuant thereto;
- Use of reclaimed waste water by a designated user from a system permitted by the Environmental Protection Division of the department to provide reclaimed waste water;
- Irrigation of personal food gardens;
- Irrigation of new and replanted plant, seed, or turf in landscapes, golf courses, or sports turf fields during installation and for a period of 30 days immediately following the date of installation;
- Drip irrigation or irrigation using soaker hoses;
- Handwatering with a hose with automatic cutoff or handheld container;
- Use of water withdrawn from private water wells or surface water by an owner or operator of property if such well or surface water is on said property;
- Irrigation of horticultural crops held for sale, resale, or installation;
- Irrigation of athletic fields, golf courses, or public turf grass recreational areas;
- Installation, maintenance, or calibration of irrigation systems; or
The City of Calhoun Utilities Rate Resolution for water and sewer has been approved and is effective starting June 1, 2017. The new rate resolution can be found here and at Customer Service.
Water and Sewer Rate Resolution
The Mayor and City Council does hereby announce that the millage rate for the City of Calhoun will be set at a meeting to be held at the Depot Community Room, 109 South King Street, Calhoun, Georgia on Monday September 12, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. and pursuant to the requirement of O.C.G.A. 48-5-32 does hereby publish the following presentation of the current year’s tax digest and levy, along with the history of the tax digest and levy for the past five years.
Five Year Tax Digest and M&O Levy History 2016
To our Calhoun Utility Customers,
The Utility has recently become the target of a fraudulent phone “scam”. The scam is designed to threaten customers with “service disconnect” or “cut-off” of utilities unless immediate payment through the use of a pre-loaded debit card (found in local retail stores) is paid to a “pay power” phone payment process.
Please note that the Calhoun Utilities only accepts payment at our local billing and customer service office or on Calhoun Utilities On-line, secure, payment site on the City of Calhoun web-site using a customer identification number found on the customer’s bill.
Calhoun Utilities does notify consumers of late payment and disconnect possibility by phone and letter but never makes threatening statements nor solicits immediate on-line or phone payment.
For any questions, contact 706-602-5678 or go to:
700 West Line St.
Calhoun, Ga. 30701
Calhoun Utilities Customer Service
Reposted from Gordon County Government…
In conjunction with OSHA “Safety Stand Down Day”, Midland Communications hosted the Georgia Search and Rescue (GSAR) Taskforce 6 for a joint training session on communications tower emergencies and rescue procedures at Midland Communication’s site on School House Rd in Gordon County. GSAR Taskforce 6 had twenty members from five agencies including: Gordon County Fire Rescue, Calhoun Fire Department, Dalton Fire Department, Bartow County Fire Department, and Bremen Fire Department. After a brief classroom discussion of the hazards associated with climbing towers, equipment needed to perform tower rescues, and procedures to take in the event of a tower emergency, both Midland Communications and GSAR TF-6 moved to the tower to practice the skills, procedures, and with the equipment each agency would utilize in the event of an emergency. The day was concluded with personnel climbing the tower for familiarization and performing several rescue scenarios to test what they had learned during the day.
GSAR Taskforce 6 would like to extend their gratitude to Midland Communications and their staff for their willingness to share their knowledge and time with the taskforce members.