Customer Service FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for service?

You can apply for service at our facility located at 700 West Line Street, Calhoun, Georgia 30701.

Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

All applicable fees and deposits must be paid prior to establishing a new account.

Please allow 3 business days for any new Service Connections.

What documentation is needed to establish new service?

Calhoun Utilities requires a copy of a pictured ID and Social Security card of each adult living at the residence. If a Social Security card is not available, a second legal document containing the name and Social Security number, such as a Tax Form, W-2 Form etc., may be substituted. For rental property, the Utility requires a rental contract or lease agreement signed and dated by the landlord, to establish service.

Are Senior Citizen discounts available?

  • To obtain a senior citizen discount you must be 65 years of age or older.
  • The senior citizen must reside at the address and the utilities must be in the name of the senior citizen.
  • Each senior citizen is eligible for only one discount location.
  • To qualify for the water and sewer discount, a senior citizen must have a 2 month history of using less than 5,000 gallons of water per month.
  • To qualify for the electric discount, a senior citizen must have a history of using less than 1,000 kWh of electricity in each of the previous 12 months.
  • An individual may be eligible for the senior rate on water after two months at an address. Upon completion of a year of qualifying electric bills, it is the responsibility of the customer to notify the city of eligibility for the electric discount rate.
  • If at any time usage surpasses the maximum or a customer is on the disconnect list for non-payment, the senior citizen will be removed from the discount rate.
  • To enroll, print, complete the “Senior Citizen Utility Rate Application” form and apply, in person, at our 700 West Line Street location. Verifiable identification of age is required. Download the Senior Citizen Rate Application.

My bill appears to be higher than normal. Why?

There may be several reasons for an increase in usage–new landscaping, yard watering and additional guests to name a few. If none of the above applies and nothing obvious can be found, you may have a leak. Because the customer is responsible for any service line leaks beyond the meter, you might want to consider contacting a plumber.

Who is responsible for water line leaks?

The Utility maintains the lines from the water main to the meter box. The customer is responsible for any leaks beyond the meter. A dripping leak can consume 10 to 15 gallons per day. A leak with an opening of 1/32″ can use 264 gallons a day. Leak repairs are critical in keeping your utility bill manageable. Once a leak has been fixed, the customer can bring in a copy of a plumber’s bill or a receipt showing the purchase of parts used in the repair. Customer service will review the account and determine if a credit adjustment is applicable. If deemed necessary, an on site inspection may be required. The customer is responsible for consumption charges and line repairs pertaining to leaks occurring between their meter and the unit being served.

Why do I have to pay for the water lost in a leak if I did not use it?

There are considerable costs associated with the treatment and distribution of water. The customer is responsible for the upkeep of the plumbing system beyond the meter and therefore is liable for all water passing through the meter.

Why is my sewer bill higher than my water bill?

Sewage comes from homes and businesses and is the wastewater generated from bathrooms and kitchens. Sewer charges are based on water usage. Sewer charges pay for the cost of building, maintaining and operating wastewater treatment plants and costs associated with the treatment. These charges are for the biological and chemical processes needed to render our water safe before returning it back to our environment. The cost of treating wastewater has risen dramatically over the years thereby causing sewer bills to be higher than water bills.

Who do I call if there is a water, electric or sewer problem?

For any electric outages, water or sewer problems between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday call 706-602-5850. After hours and weekend emergency number is 706-629-2758.

Why has my service been turned off?

If your account is delinquent or the bank has notified us of an NSF check, your service may have been disconnected. Service will be restored upon receipt of payment in full plus the disconnect charge.

Why wasn’t I notified before my utility services were disconnected?

It is the responsibility of every customer to pay their bill in full on time. Every bill has a notice that states ” Any past due balance is subject to immediate cut-off as notified on previous statements”. In addition, a disconnect notice is sent to the customer notifying the account holder of the tentative disconnect date.

I am the owner of vacant rental property. Do I need to transfer the service to my name?

Whenever a rental property becomes vacant the owner takes responsibility for the utility bill.

What are the current watering restrictions for the area?

Find the latest water restrictions at Georgia’s Environmental Protection Division’s website:¬†

Where can I obtain a fire hydrant meter?

Our Customer Service facility at 700 West Line Street can assist you with the rental.

What are the fees to rent a fire hydrant meter?

I called regarding an account and was denied information?

All Utilties are required to abide by the mandated Federal identity theft “Red Flag Rules”. This program was developed to detect, prevent and mitigate identity theft. If an individual calls looking for information and is not on the account, the request will be denied. To add an individual to the account, please stop by our Customer Service Department at 700 West Line Street, Calhoun, Georgia.

If I have any questions about my bill or my account, who do I call?

You may contact our Customer Service Department at:

Land of the Cherokee