I ESPECIALLY WANT TO THANK ALL THE BUSINESSES THAT DONATE THEIR CARDBOARD TO THE DOWNTOWN RECYCLING PROJECT!! WITH YOUR HELP, WE ARE ABLE TO KEEP TONS OF MATERIAL AWAY FROM THE LANDFILL , REDUCE THE COST YOU PAY FOR WASTE PICK UP, GENERATE $$$$ DOLLARS $$$$ FOR OUR CENTER, AND MOST OF ALL, KEEP CARDBOARD IN THE RECYCLING LOOP!!
- SHERWIN WILLIAMS
- PETS R US
- CALHOUN PAINT
- 365 ON PIEDMOND
- MOTHER NATURE’S EDEN
- BJ’S DINER
- OWENS FLORIST
- A+ DRIVING SCHOOL
- TOT ROOST
- PAT’S PLACE
- BAXTER DEAN
- PETE’S MUSIC
- CALHOUN/GORDON COUNTY LIBRARY
- GORDON COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
- GEM THEATRE
- VELLO VINEYARD
- CALHOUN WATCH SHOP
- CALHOUN FARM SUPPLY
- BRANNON’S FLORIST
- LIQUOR WAREHOUSE
- BAXTER DEAN
- SHAWN LANGSTON’S SECURIT
- WALLSTREET GRILLE
- ABC LIQUOR
- DIPRIMA SHOES
- AND OUR LARGEST CONTRIBUTOR …… JIMMY PAYNE / OTASCO
BUT, none of this would be possible if it were not for the generous donations of SHAWN JAVAD, Waste Co. His partnership, his collaborative spirit, and incredible willingness to provide trailers, to move trailers, to transport materials
~~THIS is what keeps us going ~~
THANK YOU, SHAWN JAVAD, FOR SUPPORTING CITY OF CALHOUN RECYCLING!!
Also, Renee Mauldin and Mauldin Trash Services, are an important part in our downtown project! They are INVALUABLE partners in Recycling! They pick up anywhere from three to four truckloads of OCC every Tuesday from over 25 businesses in and around the downtown area in their pickup, and deliver it to our warehouse for processing (free of charge to the City of Calhoun)! This is a tough, hot, sweaty job, but Renee and Robert always have a smile on their face! I love working with such great people because WE share the same goals — WE WANT TO MAKE RECYCLING WORK IN CALHOUN! WE WANT IT TO BE SOMETHING WE DO AS A HABIT NOT SIMPLY AS A PROJECT! AND I FIRMLY BELIEVE CALHOUN IS GOING GREEN IN 2016!! GOOD JOB CALHOUN!
We are now using Gaylord boxes for collecting mixed paper which makes it easier for our customers.
Mixed paper is magazines, newspaper, file folders, copy paper, manuals, mail, catalogs, books, envelopes (even windowed) shredded paper computer printouts.
No plastic, tape, paper towels, tissue, waxed cardboard, laminated paper, spiral notebooks.
- Soda Bottles
- Beer Bottles
- Juice Containers
- Ketchup Bottles
- Wine and Liquor Bottles
- Food Containers
- Ceramic Cups and Plates
- Clay Pots
- Light Bulbs
- Window Glass
- Heat Resistant Ovenware
- Drinking Glasses
What Can and Cannot be recycled
in the Mixed Paper Only Program?
- REDUCES POLLUTION
· Manufacturing products from recycled paper reduces water pollution by 35% and air pollutants by 73%.
· Using recycled steel in manufacturing cuts down on 76% of the water pollutants, 86% of the air pollutants, and 97% of the mining wastes.
- REDUCES NEED FOR LANDFILLS
· In the US, landfills include more than 80% of all solid waste.
· Recycling helps to reduce landfill space and disposal costs.
- REDUCES LITTER
· Litter is a costly as well as unsightly problem US-tax payers are charged with.
· $500 million every year goes to pick up litter by crews along state highways.
- TO INCREASE OUR NUMBERS IN RESIDENTIAL RECYCLING BY 50% OVER THE NEXT YEAR.
- TO DETERMINE COSTS FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF CURBSIDE RECYCLING IN CITY OF CALHOUN.
- TO PROVIDE BUSINESSES THE NEEDED BINS REQUIRED FOR THE RECYLING OF MIXED PAPER AND CARDBOARD AND PLASTIC.
- TO SUPPPORT OUR SCHOOLS IN THEIR RECYCLING OF MIXED PAPER, CARDBOARD AND PLASTIC AND MAKE IT A PROFITABLE ENTERPRISE.
- TO MAKE SURE WE ARE PROMOTING RECYCLING IN THE CITY THROUGH OUR SCHOOLS, THROUGH BUSINESSES, CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS AND CHAMBER OF COMMERCE.